The End FGM European Network is looking for a dynamic Policy & Advocacy trainee to assist in its implementation of the 2023/2024 Work Plan.
The trainee will focus mainly on the following main activities:
- EU Policy: support the monitoring and influencing of relevant EU policy and legal frameworks, including the Directive of the EU on Violence against Women, the Recommendation on preventing Harmful Practices and the follow up of EU accession to the Istanbul Convention; support capacity building of members in engaging with candidates for European elections;
- UN Processes: Support the Policy & Advocacy Coordinator in the implementation of global advocacy with the Global Platform for Action to End FGM/C
- Advocacy within specific European projects: work with the Policy & Advocacy Coordinator and other departments in designing and implementing advocacy activities stemming from project implementation (Join our Chain, End FGM E-Campus, The Purple Chair Podcast).
Reports to: Policy and Advocacy Coordinator
Primary duties and responsibilities
- Assist the Policy & Advocacy Coordinator in the development and the practical and logistical organisation of the aforementioned activities in coordination with other departments (Communications, Programmes and Governance), where relevant;
- Support in submitting contributions to EU policy processes and engaging with EU institutions and other CSO partners;
- Provide support to the Secretariat staff by helping to prepare meeting agendas and presentations;
- Assist in the preparation of reports and policy papers, research and related information in relation to advocacy activities of the Network;
- Assists in supporting Network Members in national level advocacy activities coordinated by the Secretariat.
- University degree in Political Sciences, Humanities or Social sciences or any other relevant experience.
- Professional fluency in oral and written English
- Proven interest in gender issues
- Exceptional written communication skills (drafting/reporting)
- Organisational skills
- Spirit of initiative
- Detail oriented
- Experience in policy analysis and development and/or advocacy
- Knowledge of the EU institutions and understanding of EU decision-making
- Understanding of violence against women (VAWG) and gender issues (knowledge on FGM would be an asset)
- Fair knowledge of French (other EU languages are an asset)
- Experience in organising events
Proficiency in the use of computers for:
- Microsoft Office
- Social media (Twitter, Facebook)
What we offer
- This is an opportunity to work in a dynamic network interacting daily with organisations passionately committed to women’s rights and ending FGM.
- 6-month traineeship contract– (Convention d’immersion professionelle).
- Full time traineeship (38h/week)
- 1125€ per month
- Location: Brussels, Belgium
- A working from home allowance.
How to apply
- Please send your CV and completed application form to email@example.com
- Please mention “Application Policy and Advocacy Assistant” in the subject line
- You can find the application form here.
- The selected candidate would start at the earliest convenient date possible for the applicant (ideally mid-September 2023)
We will be accepting applications until 15th August. We expect to be conducting interviews at the end of August/early September, unless there are any unforeseen delays.